Information for Employers
At Giles Academy, we welcome the support of employers to help our students to understand more about the world of work and the specific skills required for different careers.
Employers can help us in the following ways:
- Offer work experience placements to Year 11 students which could take place during school holidays. At our sister school, Bourne Academy offer a one-week work experience placement to Year 12 students which takes place during the summer term, usually at the beginning of July. (For further information, please see the work experience section below)
- usually at the beginning of July. (For further information, please see the work experience section below).
- Support career events e.g. Careers Fairs, Mock interviews, Year 8 and Year 9 Enterprise Challenges
- Deliver short 20-minute assemblies about your specific career to year groups of students
- Deliver 50-minute career specific sessions for small groups of interested students
- Notify us about any local apprenticeship opportunities you have available
- Participate in our National Careers week activities
Students find work experience to be a very worthwhile experience. Currently Giles Academy do not have a specific work experience placement week, but we do encourage them to participate in work experience during the school holidays.
Every student in Year 12 at our sister school Bourne Academy, is expected to take part in our work experience programme which takes place during the summer term, usually the beginning of July. The work experience week enables students to gain first-hand experience in the world of work and helps them to develop personal and social skills. It also helps to increase awareness of the opportunities available.
The work experience week has a very positive impact on students; it helps them to grow in confidence and encourages them to work hard to achieve their goals.
To ensure that all the placements are in accordance with the DfE Standards for Work Experience and that they meet all the Health and Safety Guidelines which keep our pupils safe, we work with external health and safety consultants, to facilitate the placements.
We are extremely grateful to employers who support our work experience programme. If you would like to find out more information about the programme please contact Libby Barber, Careers and Aspirations Lead, via email LBarber@gilesacademy.co.uk or by calling 01205 870693.
Students are given information about apprenticeships in assemblies, talks and workshops.
We work closely with our local apprenticeship advisor to further support students who are interested in this pathway.
We regularly inform our students about apprenticeship opportunities. Employers who would like us to advertise their apprenticeship should contact us.
Phone: 01205 870693
The World of Work – What kind of skills are local businesses looking for?
iCould – Investigate a whole range of jobs and your own preferences.