YEAR 9 OPTIONS
BTEC Level 2
- Examination board: Edexcel
- Contact: Stacey Dyer, Head of Department
This is an optional subject which all students will study for 3 hours per week.
The BTEC Level 1/Level 2 Tech Award, is for learners who wish to acquire skills through vocational contexts by studying the knowledge, behaviours and skills related to researching, planning, pitching and reviewing an enterprise.
The qualification enables learners to develop their technical skills, such as market research skills, planning, promotional and financial skills using realistic work scenarios, and personal skills, (such as monitoring own performance, time management and problem solving) through a practical and skills-based approach to learning and assessment. Learners will acquire knowledge, understanding and skills to underpin their practical activities in assessment, which will complement their GCSEs.
Component 1: Exploring Enterprise (internal assessment)
- Learners will examine different enterprises to develop their knowledge and understanding of the characteristics of enterprises and the skills needed by entrepreneurs.
Component 2: Planning for and Pitching an Enterprise (internal assessment)
- Learners will select an idea for an enterprise to plan and pitch. They will work as a small group to develop, plan, pitch and evaluate a micro-enterprise activity and will develop their skills in operating and reviewing the success of the enterprise.
Component 3: Promotion and Finance for Business (external assessment)
- Learners will explore the different promotional methods used by enterprises and the factors that influence how enterprises identify and target their market. Learners will explore financial documents and how to use them to monitor and improve the performance of an enterprise in order to make decisions and recommend strategies for success.
The course is assessed in the following ways:
- Component 1 – Coursework
- Component 2 – Coursework
- Component 3 – External Examination
There are various Sixth Forms and Colleges around the local area where you can study A-level and BTEC qualifications. To give you an indication of the grades you may require, if you achieve a level 2 pass in BTEC Level 2 Business you could study BTEC Level 3 Business at Bourne Academy Sixth Form. Gaining a Level 3 qualification will prepare learners to enter employment or apprenticeships, or to move on to higher education by studying a degree in the business sector.